and cut my DNA with rubber traits
Pull apart the double helix like a wishbone
Always be working on a suicide note"
— Why?- “Rubber Traits”
— Why?- “Rubber Traits”
— Against Me!- “Searching for a former clarity
Love well, young man
While you still can
Once your leaves turn
You won’t love again
Is it special when you’re lonely?
Will you spend your whole life
In a studio apartment
With a cat for a wife?
— Pedro the Lion- “The Longest Winter”
— Keep Quiet- “Doubt”
— The National- Pink Rabbits
— Pedro the Lion- Priests and Paramedics
“That’s the kind of movie that I like to make, where there is an invented reality and the audience is going to go someplace where hopefully they’ve never been before. The details, that’s what the world is made of” -Wes Anderson
I posted earlier about my 2013 resolutions, a recap. Here are some goals I have for 2014, some are incredibly attainable, others maybe not so much.
1. Work Less- I’d like to balance work/life better. All things considered I’d like to work less than 50 hours a week between my job, and my writing.
2. Eat Better and Less- I eat a lot, and a lot of bad stuff. I don’t want to say something like “I want to lose 20 lbs,” I’d settle for eating better food and less of it. 2014- year of Kale?
3. Be more active- I’m not going to run a marathon, I don’t even like to drive 26 miles. My goal this year is simple: 500 miles on my bike, 100 miles on my running shoes.
4. Travel More- I travel a good amount, a blend between work and personal and the ever popular business personal. This also ties into #1, working less, taking my vacation and not working on vacation… unless its a business personal trip.
Did you have any resolutions?
Had a few 2013 New Years Resolutions (didn’t we all) here are how they shook out for me.
2. Get a professional certification of importance. Nailed it. I previously had a few manufacturer certs, but I went out and received my Certified Technology Specialist which is an industry standard, pretty excited about it.
3. Get healthier. Somewhat Nailed It. I didn’t lose a ton of weight, or get in shape, but I quit smoking. I have been smoking since I was 13, so it was a big deal for me.
How did your 2013 resolutions shake out?
Woke up with fingers crossed
In a boy’s bed with your pants off.
After polite declines of coffee and toast,
walked home itching in last night’s clothes.
Past the Phone Booth and the Beauty Bar,
the broken windows of your neighbors’ cars.
Through the backdoor to a message from Sis,
asking, “Who was your New Year’s kiss?”
Took the afternoon to piece it all,
plus a half a dozen phone calls.
Crashed a party with Larissa and Chris
in pursuit of a New Year’s kiss.
Not the way that you’d imagined it.
On a balcony with champagne lips.
But in a pantry against the pancake mix,
you had your New Year’s kiss.
— Casiotone for the Painfully Alone- “New Years Kiss”